Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Auntie E's Shortbread Cookies

I love Shortbread cookies. However trying to keep the Saturated fats and Cholesterol down can be hard with them. Even though Butter makes them so good there is 7 grams of Sat fat and 30 mg of cholesterol in 1 Tablespoon of butter. That could add up quickly in the cookies. So what am I to do... Not enjoy shortbread cookies for the holidays. Oh I don't think so!
I created a shortbread cookie with less than half the sat fat and zero cholesterol and it still taste like the real thing. But I still limit myself to them by making large cookies. One satisfies my taste buds.



1 cup of Buttered flavored Crisco shortening
1/2 cup of fine Organic Sugar (I use Wholesome brand)
1 teaspoon Wilton buttered flavoring
2-1/2 cups of Flour

Using a food processor with cutting blade in. Put the Shortening in and process til smooth. open scrape down sides.
Add sugar, continue processing , add the flavoring while processing through the top opening.
Open lid and add all the flour, Put lid back on process with a quick on-off until flour is incorporated, texture will be a little crumbly.

Remove from processor and pat into 2 or 3 1/2 inch balls, place on a lightly grease jellyroll pan and press down. I used some cookie stamps for mine (they will be this weekend gadget). However you can use a bottom of a glass.
Sprinkle cookies with some organic sugar.
Cook on the middle rack of a 300 Degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 min for small 55 minutes for large. remove from oven and cool in jellyroll pan.
Makes about 20 small or 10 large cookies.
No refrigeration needed.

FYI: in Auntie E's Shortbread 3-1/2 inch cookie there is about 4.5 g sat fat and 0 mg cholesterol in it.
If it were made with Butter it would have 11.2 g sat fat and 48 mg cholesterol in each cookie.

Copyright2009"Auntie E's CookBook/M Dubros"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted.