Sunday, December 19, 2010

Coffee time with Auntie E-Holiday Baking

The holidays are upon us. I remember the home made cookies and candies of days of old. The carolers at the door, hot chocolate, hot spiced wine, cookies and the snow falling. All are great Memories of years gone by. It seems the Carolers in our area have gone away, I really miss that part. So, I will put on the Christmas music and drink my hot drinks, eat the cookies and watch the snow fall in the Solarium. We are expecting Snow this week for Christmas.

Have any of you had Snow Cream? My Mother made it , the time I really remember is when we lived in Rochester New York. We had a great snow fall that year. All the snow falls were large amounts in Rochester. My mom put out a Large stock pot and collected the snow. Then she added Eggs , Cream, vanilla and a little sugar. Oh It was so good, I can still imagine the taste. I thought I would post a Snow Cream recipe for you. We haven't had our large fall yet. However, I think we will be going to the Mountains of Maryland in Garrett county in a couple weeks. It is always snowing there and just maybe I will be able to make some.
Now the key to great Snow Cream is to wait until the second or third day of Snow Falling. That way the snow is much cleaner. This is the Recipe I remember my Mother making.

Snow Cream of Days Gone By


2 eggs
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 can evaporated milk
A big bowl of fresh fallen clean snow

Mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla and evaporated Milk. Beat until foamy.
Now fold in the fresh fluffy snow. You will need a Stock Pot full of Snow.
Enjoy!

Old those were the days! I really Miss my Mother.

Is there a childhood memory of a special food for you? Tell us about it.

This is the Last week to link of your recipes for the Holiday Flare contest. Just choose a category above and link yours up. Voting will start on the 26th of December. Do come back to vote on the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted.