I took the weekend off..Well kind of Not! Made Latkes. Debated about posting the recipe, family secret and all you know. But then I thought Why not. You all can not come to my home to try them and it is still Chanukah. You need to try them once during the eight days. so Here it is. Join us in the Latkes dance and don't forget to pick up the Applesauce.
You will need:
4 large Russet Potatoes
1/4 cup sweet onion (minced)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon flour
1/4 freshly grated Nutmeg
Olive oil for frying
1. Grate the potatoes, put in a bowl lined with a kitchen towel.
2. Add the Minced onion, completely wrap in the towel. set aside.
Now, every now and then, go to the towel and give it a squeeze. this will release the water from the potatoes. discard that water. I do this for about 10 minutes, to make sure all the water is out and the mixture is some what dry. (this is the secret to great latkes).
3. unwrap the potatoes mixture add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Coat the bottom of the large skillet with the Olive oil heat on medium high heat.
5. Once oil is heated, add about 2 tablespoon of Latkes mixture to oil, flatten and cook til browned on one side the flip over and continue to cook until browned.
6. place on paper towel to drain some oil.
7. Transfer to large platter
and finally the last step
8. serve with Applesauce.
copyright 2009"AuntieE'sCookbook/M Dubros"