Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coffee time with Auntie E-In the News!

Coffee in hand, My favorite Folgers Black Silk. There is just a taste that I like in that coffee. Grab your cup and sit-a-spell.
You're back...I heard last night that a mayor of a big city decided to quiet drinking coffee. I do not think I would want to do that. The statements was made, it was because a 6 year old daughter was at Starbucks with them and ask for a Mocha Latta. Had to think about that a little.... an answer No, you're to young came to mind! We seem to be so worried about what our child think about what we eat and drink. Now I do understand that, however we are grownups and so some things are privileges of being one. Coffee is one.
I remember my first cup, I was 21 years old. I joined the Military and coffee was a staple. "You learned to like it!" As my Drill Sergent would say or should I say Yell. I wasn't long till I learn the importance of the drink. Oh those long nights and early mornings. Now some 35+ years later I still drink that Morning Joe(coffee). Yes I have graduated to some flavored creamers and a new Sweetener, no more black on the run cups for me. Have I gotten softer in my older years? As the Minnesotans would say (I love the state) "You betch ya", but I still love my Coffee.
Now with that said, there is always a little coffee left in the pot. So I will leave an old favorite recipe of mine ..
Coffee Cake
This recipe is a variation of an old friend of mine. Way back in the 1970's and so easy to make.
I changed some thing to make it healthier.

You will need;

1 cup organic all purchase unbleached flour.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 Large eggs (or you can use egg beaters equivalent to 2 large eggs)
1 cup Organic fine sugar
1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract.
1 Tablespoon unsalted Butter-Melted
1/4 cup Hot strong (as you like it) Coffee
1/4 cup Hot Milk (any "%" kind)

  • Sift dry ingredients together and sit aside
  • Beat eggs til thicken.
  • gradually add sugar and vanilla.
  • Add to dry ingredients. Mix slightly then add Melted butter, hot Coffee and hot Milk. Mix well.

Pour into a greased 9inch square pan.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.

Now after baking add this mixture to the top
For the topping you will need;

1/4 cup unsalted butter-room temperature
2/3 cups dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon Milk( any "%" kind)
1 cup chopped Walnuts.

  • Cream 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • Gradually add 2/3 cups brown sugar and 2 tablespoons Milk.
  • Stir in 1 cup of chopped Walnuts .

Spread mixture over Warm Cake and place under Broiler to brown slightly. About 2- 4 minutes. Watch carefully so not to burn nuts.

Copyright 2010"Auntie E's cookbook/M Dubros"

So..Tell me what do you think about quitting coffee because of a child's reaction and desire?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but the kid would get a 'no' and I would get my latte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shieldmaiden96! Does it bother me that both of my children know that mom's a little grumpy in the morning if she doesn't have her coffee? Maybe a little, but it's not enough to make me consider not drinking it. There are far worse ways to be a bad influence on our kids.

    And, Oooo, I happen to have the ingredients in my kitchen to try that coffee cake! I bet it would be great to bake it and then freeze the portions for quick breakfast coffee goodness. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted.