My recipe id made to sever a large group of people. Therefore I make it in the 11x15 inch jelly roll pan. This is not a quick cook dish. The time from start to finish is about 2 hours. However it is worth it this time a year. After all it's a Seasonal dish.
2 packages of yeast
10(oz) skim milk
1/8 teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoon Flour
- mix together and place in a warm place for 20 minutes.
The fillings:Onion filling:
10 medium size onions.
10 oz Hickory smoked think sliced Bacon
1 Tablespoon Caraway Seeds.
- Slice the onions thin- I use a mandolin. You want the onion to be in thin rings.
- Place the onions in a large bowl add Caraway seed and toss.
- Dice the Raw Bacon.
Add the onion mixture on the top of bacon cook for about 2 minutes more. Then stir from bottom to top frequently until the onion are transparent in color. Set aside.
16 oz of Quark (German style cheese)**
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Mix together and refrigerate
The Crust-- Continued:3 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
- sift together
- Cut in 4 Tablespoon Unsalted butter.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix. form a soft ball
- rolling out on floured surface to 11x15 inch rectangle
Melt about 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- brush 11x15 jelly roll pan bottom and side with half of the melted butter.
- Place the floured side dough in the prepared pan
- sprinkle some flour on the top and with small roller, roll out the go up the sides of the pan.( I use my double wood roller from my gadgets)
- Brush the whole dough with remaining butter.
Add the Quark filling on top and lightly spread evenly.
Place on the foiled lined oven rack and bake for 40 minutes.
- At the 20 minute point, shield the edges with the foil. Just pull the foil around the edges and cover to prevent crust from browning anymore.
- continue cooking until the top is lightly browned.
This will serve about 24 people. I like it warm.
** you can use Creme Fraiche in place of the Quark
copyright 2009"Auntie E's CookBook/M Dubros"