Now another favorite for the holiday is Eggnog. So rich and the calories are very high. Here is a cookie that has the flavor without the calories.
I will also share a recipe for Eggnog Fudge later today, that is really out of the world! Just like a class of eggnog! Be sure to come back after 5 pm to view the bonus recipe.
Crescent Moon Eggnog Cookies.
you will need :
1 cup soften butter
1/2 cup sifted Powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt ( less sodium in this salt)
1/2 teaspoon Imitation Rum Extract
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste ( can get it at the market, we have Wegmans, they carry it)
2 cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 cup Almond Flour ( also at the market in the specialty section)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda.
1. Mix the flours and baking soda together, set aside.
2. Cream butter at medium speed setting of mixer.( kitchen Aid setting #5), beat for 5 minutes til fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, a spoonful at a time. Beat well after each addition. you might have to stop and scrape down the sides. Once all the sugar is in Beat for 4 minutes. It will be fluffy and light in color. Add the,salt, rum extract and the vanilla bean paste, continue beating for 2 minutes.
3. with mixer on Medium low ( #4 on Kitchen Aid) add flour mixture slowly 1/2 cup at a time mix well between additions. Once all the flour is in beat on Medium( #5) until it comes together and is coming away from the sides. this should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. take about a tablespoon of dough and rolls it into a 1" ball than shape into a crescent moon. place on Parchment Paper lined Cookie sheet. place about 2" apart, flatten the top a little.
5. cook in a 325 Fahrenheit oven for 15-18 minutes ( or a 300 F. Convection oven for 15-18 minutes). they will not brown much but will be set and light color.( a little darker then it was raw. see photo.)
allow to cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet ( this is so they will firm up.). drizzle with the Eggnog Glaze.
To make Eggnog Glaze:
Combine 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1+1/2 tablespoon of Low Fat Eggnog and 1/4 teaspoon Rum extract. mix until creamy and drizzle over the crescents using a small spoon. Sprinkle tops with freshly grated nutmeg.
Move to cooling rack, store in a tin , can be frozen. Thaw before serving.
Recipe copyright 2016 by "Auntie E Cookbook/EM Dubros"