For us it is a Danish Puff that my hubby's mother made each year at Christmas(I will linked that one for you). Now for me it is Stollen. While living in Germany I fell in love with the Treat.
German Stollen (Weihnachtsstollen)
(recipe from Breslau an area in Silesia[Germany] Now part of Poland)
About 7 cups of White Bread flour
1 Tablespoon of flaked sea salt
7 packages(171/2 teaspoons) Active dry yeast.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup lukewarm milk(95F-105F)
2 cup blanched almonds-chopped
4 cup Raisins
2 cup candies candied citrus peel
1 cup Currants
1 Tablespoon grated Lemon rind.
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
1 3/4 cup unsalted butter-softened
6 large eggs-lightly beaten
unsalted butter for brushing- this could be about 3 cups.
confectionery sugar for dusting.
Two large heavy baking sheets lined with 3 sheets of Parchment paper.
1. In a large mixer bowl mix dry yeast and 1 Tablespoon sugar and add to Lukewarm milk. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
2. Sift flour into large bowl and set aside.
3. Mix the Fruits and almonds together add 2 tablespoon of flour, coating the fruits and nuts. Stir in spices. Set fruit mixture aside.
4.To Yeast mixture add a little of the flour to make a thick paste. Sprinkle top with a little flour, cover with cloth and place in a warm place for 20 minutes until Spongy.
5. Add the rest of the sugar to the sponge, stir. Add the softened butter mixer on a folding setting of mixer using a batter paddle. Change paddle to dough hooks. Fold 6 cups of flour in to the sponge, one cup at a time. Continue folding until flour is almost mixed in.
6. Add beaten eggs, about 1/2 cup at a time. folding well each time.[If dough is too sticky add 1 Tablespoon reserved flour at a time. If dough to too dry add 1 Tablespoon milk at a time]. continue to fold until dough is still soft and holds it's shape.
7. Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead until Blisters start to appear (about 10 minutes). Pat into a 18"x12" shape and about 3/4" thick.
8.Sprinkle one fourth of the fruit Mixture on top. Start folding in this pattern:
The Folding Pattern
- Fold the short to the other
- Next fold the long sides to meet in the middle
- Fold the ends in.
- Fold the right half over the left half, making to small rectangle package.
- Give the Rectangle a quarter of a turn.
- Press on the package out into a 18"x12" shape again. ( flouring surface as needed)
- Spread another quarter of the fruit mixture in to center and repeat Folding Pattern above. do this four times.
- Then fold over two more time pressing gently, turning after each fold over itself.
10. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead lightly one minute. Divide dough in half. Pat each half in a 10"x6" rectangle, about 1 3/4" thick. with short side facing you fold in bottom third in and top third down, making a three layered rectangle. Round ends to form a nice shape.11. Place stollen on prepared baking sheet.( If you are not using a heavy baking sheet, use a another baking sheets under the main one, this will prevent the bottom from browning too much.)
12. Cover each Stollen with a dry dish towel and left rise for 2 hours in warm place.
During the last 15 minutes of rising Preheat oven to 325F.
13. Bake in middle of oven for 45 minutes. Then cover with foil, turn pan around and continue to bake for 30 minutes. Until Stollens are golden brown and Firm to the touch, and an inserted skewer in the center should come out clean.
14. Immediately brush 1/2 cup of melted butter on each Stollen. Let it soak in. Transfer to wired rack- cool completely.
15. Once cool wrap in foil and leave at room temp.
16. The next day, preheat over to 350F, place wrapped Stollen on Baking sheet for 10 minutes.
In the meantime melt 1 cup butter. Remove Stollen from oven, unwrap and brush with butter until they will not absorb any more. cool completely on wire rack.Wrap in New foil
17. Repeat the process in 16 for the next two days. On the last day brush the bottom of the Stollen with the butter.
18. When the Stollens have cooled , Sift a thick layer of confectioners sugar over the tops.
19. Keep the Stollen in a cool place , but not the Refrigerator, for at least 2 weeks
20. Use within six weeks.
A Printable version