In trying to make this a more healthier Bread, I have changed the lard out to Shortening and the cream to skim milk. We found the taste to still be there and the texture was not compromised.
Auntie E's Baps
3 3/4 to 4 3/4 cups of Unbleached bread flour.
4 teaspoons fine sea salt
1/4 cup Crisco shortening
1 package (2 1/2 teaspoon) active dry yeast.
1/2 teaspoon organic fine sugar.
1 3/4 cups of half skim milk and water (at 95-105 degrees F),divided
Milk for glazing and flour for dusting.
- Add yeast,sugar and 2 tablespoon Warm liquid in glass bowl, let stand until foamy about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sift together 3 3/4 cups flour and salt. Mix in shortening with clean fingertips until fine crumbs are left.. Make well in center.
- Add rest of liquid and the yeast mixture in center. With wooden spoon start add flour into well. continue until all flour is added.
- Turn out onto floured Pastry cloth or floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes. Until dough is smooth and silky.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and turn to greased top. Cover with damp cloth and Let rise in warm, place free of drafts for 1 to 1.5 hrs,until double in size.
- Turn out onto floured surface or pastry cloth and divided into 12 equal pieces. shape pieces into 3 inch rounds, Place on two lightly greased Baking sheets.
- Brush with milk and dust with flour, Let rise for 30 minutes in warm place.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Sift a little more flour over the tops and lightly press thumb in the middle (this will keep them flattish then domed)- I tend to let them dome some, so do not press so hard.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden top and bottom. (about half way through cooking switch baking sheets,if using two racks for cooking)
- Remove from oven place dry towel over them and let them cool a little before cutting and eating.