Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Foods- German Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin is really consider a round orange winter squash. I like pumpkin a lot. In Germany soups are big in the Fall. Just picture yourself; snuggled in a blanket with a mug a Soup in hand. You could be at a football game or Bonfire sipping that cup of soup. This is the wonderful time of year and this soup does well in a thermos on the go. It can be served hot or cold. I prefer it Warm just enough to sip. The name I gave it is for my favorite memories in German, love of Pumpkin and fall soups.
German Pumpkin Soup.

1(15oz) can 100% pure Pumpkin
1/2 cup finely diced Sweet Onion
1 Tablespoon Freshly grated Ginger
1 small clove garlic- Pressed or minced.
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
A Nip of Grounds Cloves
A Smidgen of Ground fresh nutmeg
1 cup Orange Juice
2 cups Vegetable broth (heated to a boil)
2 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup

-In a 12 cup (2.5 liter) soup pot on medium high heat add oil, when heated a little add onion , ginger, and garlic. cook and stir til onions are transparent in color. about 2 to 3 minutes.
-Add Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg stirring well for about 1 minute.
-Add Orange juice stir well bring to a boil.
-Add Pumpkin and stir well,
-Add Broth and bring to a simmer(Bubbling around the sides of pan). Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
-Add Maple Syrup and stir.

Serve Warm, Will serve 6 to 8 people.

I serve it with a little Quark(European- style cheese) on top (As in photo). You can use sour cream in place however the flavor is differently not the same. If you can find Quark try it. Appel Farms out of WA is the brand I use.

Lisa over at Stop and Smell the Chocolate is having a Fall Fruits Festival week. Today it is Pumpkin Day. For more Pumpkin recipes Stop over at Lisa's.

4 comments:

  1. That soup sounds like the perfect Fall food!! The maple syrup in it sounds good. Thanks for sharing the recipe and for helping spread the word about the Festival! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh...that sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so yummy, and one that my kids might like too! Thanks for posting! (I found you through Amy's Finer Things - 60+ Pumpkin recipes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every month on Fridays I do something called "Taste the World" where I feature one country's food for the month. This month I'm doing German food! This recipe would be perfect! You should come by and leave a link to this recipe so I can add it to the list of German food. :)

    http://alison.blogsome.com/2010/04/08/taste-the-world-kugel/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted.