Last time we were there the Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar was very nice. So, we purchased a small bottle of it. With the weather getting warmer the time to make ice cream has come. Looking through a new Ice cream book I purchase, I can across a balsamic ice cream recipe. As per my cooking detail, I changed up the recipe to be more healthier. Even though creamy and fattening ice cream is soooo good. Sometimes it is good to tone down the fat content.
So, I used the strawberry balsamic and Silk Coconut milk. These add flavor and good fat to the creamery.
The ice cream is made by creating a custard base. it is not that hard. You can use any ice cream maker to churn the ice cream. It should be eaten within seven day. If it will last that long.
Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream
To Make the Puree sauce:
Half and quarter Strawberries about 3 cups. Place in a skillet and place 2 Tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons of Zi Olive* Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar. Heat on med heat until strawberries are cooked down and their liquid has been reduced about half. Remove from heat and puree with a Bamix** ( or you can use a blender). cover and chill.
Making the custard:
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 & 3/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup Original Silk Coconut milk ( you will find this in the dairy section of the store. This is not the can version)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Zi Olive* Strawberry Balsamic vinegar
- lightly whisk egg yolks in a medium glass heatproof bowl, then add 1/4 cup of the sugar and whisk until mixed. set aside.
- in a large sauce pan (stainless steel works best) add the remaining 1/4 cups sugar, cream and Silk Coconut milk, and salt. cook over medium heat heat until just start to bubble around edges. Reduce heat to medium at this point.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of milk mixture into the eggs, stirring well. than add another 1/2 cup into the egg mixture, stirring well making sure it does not curdle.
- slowly add the egg mixture into the milk mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon continuously. Making sure the egg does not curdle.
- once egg mixture is incorporated in the milk mixture, with heat on medium, stir constantly with the wooden spoon until it thickens. about 5 to 8 minutes. it should coat the back of the wooden spoon and you should be able to run your finger down the middle and it will stay cleared.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh strainer into a medium size bowl. you can use the wooden spoon to stir it through the strainer. Wash the wooden spoon after this process.
- Put some ice and water in a larger bowl, set the custard bowl in the ice water bath. stir the custard as it cools.
- Once cooled cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
Be sure to put your container you will be using to put the ice cream in in the freezer while you are churning the ice cream. Use the ice cream with 7 days.
This is a great recipe for a ice cream pie or cake. Just make the cake or crust and freeze while churning. When done churning pour the ice cream onto the crust or cake bottom. If making a cake freeze until it is set about 4 hours then top with second cake section. Freeze until ready to serve.
Try it in Baked Alaska Recipe. enjoy
copyright 2014 by "Auntie E Cookbook/M Dubros"
* Zi Olive