Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dee's Baklava - A Sweet Treat

I had a request from my niece Jenny for Dee's Baklava recipe. Dee was my Mother in law and she loved to cook. I always remember her in the kitchen. With nine people living in one house and plenty of grand kids and friends, she cooked a lot.
One item she made was this Baklava. I found her recipe after searching all my books. Finally remembered I put it in a recipe binder for safe keeping.

Dee's Baklava

4 cups Walnuts, chopped finely (that is a 16oz package)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon.

1 pound fillo Dough
1 cup butter melted (that is 2 sticks.)
A 12oz jar of honey

1.Grease a 13"x9" baking dish. In a Large bowl with spoon mix Walnuts , Sugar and Cinnamon.
Cut Fillo into 13"x 9" strips.
2.In the baking dish layer 5 sheets of Fillo, brush each one with melted butter.
Sprinkle with 1 cup of Walnut mixture.
3.Repeat the step 2 until walnut mixture is used up.
4. top with 5 sheets of fillo dough, brushing with butter between each layer. Brush top sheet with butter.
5.With a sharp knife cut just halfway through the layers in a triangle pattern.
6. bake at 300 F oven 1 hour and 25 minutes.
7. In a small pan slowly heat honey, spoon heated honey over Baklava.
8. cool on wire rack 1 hour.

5 comments:

  1. Someday I'd like to go to a baklava festival where I can try everyone's recipes, since everyone seems to make it a little differently. I used to make this every year on New Years Eve for a dinner party my best friend's father threw. By his request I made it with pistachios, because they are Lebanese and he said that's what they use. I spent every spare minute for three days shelling them one year when I couldn't find the shelled ones, then put them in the food processor with the cinnamon and sugar. I made it in a jellyroll pan, and heated the honey syrup with a couple of cinnamon sticks in it. I think I might have to try yours next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now following you thanks to Friendly Friday,
    and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    http://theblogfrog-nan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! thanks for sharing the recipe...been longing to make this desert...hubby's former boss was Egyptian....he made us some baklava before...and it was delicious!

    thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe!!! I've never tried making Baklava because I always thought it must be too complicated to make but this recipe looks like something that I can do!!! Thanks for the great recipe!!! -- JT Locke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! It taste ALMOST like i remember. I don't think it will ever be the same because Granma put het love into it too.
    Thank you again...that means alot to me...Jenniey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and Anonymous comments will be deleted.