Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Roasting Root Vegetables

Roasting Root Vegetables can be a great way to get your family to try Fall vegetables. I attended a class on cooking root vegetables last Sunday. I like to roast vegetables from time to time. One thing I learned is that they taste their best after the first cold night temps. That is because the cold forces the sugar out of the vegetable. Therefore they are harvested in the fall months.

The Instructor roasted beets. I never had them that way. Not really a beet eater either. My Mother liked to Pickles them, but I just didn't care for them. So, while at the class I tried the Roasted Beets and to my surprise I like them.

So I thought I would post the technique of roasting Beets.

First off, Beet stain everything! so use disposable gloves when peels them. peel them over a trash can or use a metal bowl. Do not use a cutting board to chop them. Unless you have, like me, a Red cutting board.
After peeling the outer skin. Place a piece for aluminum foil on a cookie sheet . Cut the beets into small chunks on top the the foil.(use the foil as your cutting board).
Now cut 2 more pieces of foil and place the cut beets in the foil on top off the 2 layers. what you are doing is making a roasting pan out of the foil. As I stated before you want to keep from touching the beets due to the dye. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to the beets and toss them with your still gloved hands.
remove your gloves and dispose them.

Now preheat oven to 425F. Place the foil pouch on the middle rack and roast for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I hope if you try a recipe and will come back to tell me how you liked it.
All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted.