Friday, September 18, 2009
L'shanah Tovah Tikateivu
L'shanah Tovah Tikateivu is Jewish meaning " May you be inscribed for a new year". Tonight at sundown starts the New Year in the Jewish calender. It is the first day of Tishri.
tonight our menu will be:
Round Raisin Challah
Sweet potato Tzimmes casserole
Sweet Buffalo Brisket
Apples and Honey
Everything sweet for a most sweet year.
I thought I would share a sweet recipe with you.
I picked Sweet Potato Tzimmes Casserole.
5 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon each of Nutmeg, Ginger and Cinnamon
1/3 cup of Honey
2 Tablespoons grated orange rind
8 pitted prunes, chopped.
3/4 cup pineapple chunks
2 medium carrots cut into thin slices (I use a mandolin)
1. bake sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for one hour or until soft. Cool.
2. scoop out the inside of the sweet potatoes and put into mixing bowl. Add Spices
3. Add honey and lemon rind, mix well
4. fold in all fruit and carrots(I use a silicone spatula being careful not to mash to fruit)
5.Put mixture into a buttered 7-1/2 x 12 inch baking pan.
6. bake at 350 degrees oven for 30 minutes.
Serves 12 people.